MASSIVE SLUDGE IN MY CHOCOLATE PORTER

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

re: brew ware

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Well, I used it a lot while making my all-grain setup (I've still got to get pictures of it and post them on here). I've also built a malt-mill, hopback, and a hop dryer to name a few of the bigger things. I haven't used the hop dryer yet, but I'm sure it'll get plenty of use this season.

Some of these things I could have bought for not too much more money, but what's the fun in that? It has directions for a cheap counter-pressure bottle filler, but I'm not sure if it's a good investment or not. When I take beer from my kegs, it's usually gone that day. So, I don't think I need to worry too much about carbonation.

A lot of the things in Brew Ware can be figured out without the book, but the book just makes it much easier. Most of the things I've built I could have figured out on my own (aside from the hop dryer), but I liked the blueprints and instructions it layed out. I like when things go smoothly and the book definately helped.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: re: brew ware

Post by billvelek »

Suthrncomfrt1884 wrote:snip ... I've also built a ... hop dryer ... snip ... Most of the things I've built I could have figured out on my own (aside from the hop dryer) ... snip
I saw or heard of an idea somewhere (probably on my Grow-Hops group) for a hop dryer that consists of merely taking an old chest of drawers (bedroom furniture), and replacing the wooden bottom of each drawer with screen or wire fabric, putting a vent on the top, and connecting a hair dryer to the bottom. I figure I can go to 'Good Will' and pick up the chest cheaper than I can buy new wood, and the thing is practically built for me already.

What does your dryer consist of?

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Bill,

That sounds like the easiest way of making a functional oast. Just make sure that the drawers look like they are well constructed.

I just made frames for mine and attached window screen to the bottom, stackable with hole in the bottom for attaching a dryer.

Wish I'd have thought of the drawers.

Mine is similar to this one
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

hop dryer

That actually sounds like a great idea. Lot's of storage and easily built. I wonder how much a typical hair dryer can actually do though?

Mine uses the heating element layed out in Brew Ware. I built a 24"x24" box out of pine with no top or bottom. It's got legs to keep it off the ground. I ran ni-chrome coiled wire in a zig-zag pattern along the bottom and wired them to a 600watt light dimmer. Hooked that up to a power cord, and that's it. I built 2 trays that sit on top of this box. Each has a mesh screen bottom. I wasn't sure how much heat this thing was going to put out, so I didn't go any higher than two tier. If I find that it drys both layers with ease, I will build on as my hop plants get bigger. As soon as I get a chance, I'll snap some pictures.

This is the first year I'm going to be planting hops, so I'm not really sure how much I'm going to harvest. I'm planting four different kinds, so hopefully this dryer will have enough room for them.
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Where did you get the nichrome wire?
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

I bought it from a local heating and AC repair shop. I didn't check, but I'm sure you could buy it at almost any home improvement store.
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB