Lower S.G. than expected.

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Lower S.G. than expected.

Post by Azorean Brewer »

OK, I have a situation where my starting O.G. was to target 1.064 (recipe called for 1.064-1.067), and the target final S.G. was 1.017, I racked last night to secondary and S.G. was 1.011-1.012.
This is a good thing right ? I just want to make sure that there are no adverse effects (other than more alcohol :-) to this lower S.G.
Ingredient specifics are in the recipe "Old Man Theakston" an all grain Old Ale.
Thanks All.

Paul.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

It's All Good

Post by BillyBock »

Did you select a different yeast than the original recipe? Maybe it was just more attenuative. Or maybe your wort was more fermentable. What was your mash schedule and is your thermometer calibrated?

If it were me, I'd leave it as is. But if you want, you could add some boiled/cooled maltodextrin to the secondary. Since it's not fermentable, it'll add the missing body you're looking for. I think maltodextrin is 36 ppppg. So 1# would up your gravity by 6.5 pts in 5.5 gals. I did this once on a pale ale that end up way too dry (1.004!) Good luck! Let us know how you fare.

v/r

Bill
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mash and yeast

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hey Billy, how's it going? The mash schedule was per recipe, 152F for 90 minutes, but ya know what, now that you mention it when I opened up the mash tun after about 90-100 minutes the temp had dropped to 146F. I'll bet that's what did it right? more fermentables less body, meaning more alcohol. !@#$, I wanted more body as I was going after a "Theakston's Old Peculiar", Ok "live, learn and be merry" LOL ... no problem, I will brew this one again I am sure, this time keeping the temp closer to the 154F.

As for the yeast it was the White Labs Irish that I specified. I also made a 500 ML. starter even though they tell you don't "have
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Mash Tun?

Post by BillyBock »

Hey, Paul, things are going good. Ok, so that's a lie because I'm not brewing yet 'cause the house ain't put away after the move :-)

What do you use for a mash tun? I have a Mini-brew mash tun. Even though those retain heat excellent, I had a brew where there was a significant temperature gradient, 136F towards the bottom and 150F on top. Stir the mash a few times and that should help. There was also a time where my thermometer wasn't calibrated, it read 8F high. I thought the mash was 152F, it was really 144F--the OG was 1.044 and the FG was 1.004. One of these days I'll get around to making a recirculating mash system and these temp things won't be an issue. Until then...happy brewing. Oh, what's the story on your screen name? Were you in the Azores?

Bill
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

My mash tun

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hey Billy, my mash tun is a huge canning kettle that I set in a warm oven usually it does well, but I wasn't monitoring it like I should have.

As for my nick name ... I am first greneration USA born, my folks imigrated from the Azores just before I was born. I still have family there "St. Michael's" acutally. See ya around got to head to the "job".

Paul.