1/2 keg

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

1/2 keg

Post by Fraoch »

I bottled some beer and had only 1/2 a post mix keg left over, which I dutifully kegged the same as I would a full keg. The difference being i only agitated it for half the time. I normally inject CO2 @ 200kpa, agitate for approx 8 - 10 mins, increase to 300kpa, agitate for 1/2 min, leave for 24 hrs and bingo!!! beer!!. As i only could fill the keg half way, i halfed the amount of time - seemed straight forward to me. But all i got is froth!! Takes a long time to pour and if you want a pint then you ned a 1 1/2 pint glass. Anyone got the solution???
littlehop
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by littlehop »

Crank and shake is very reliable as long as you use the tables, I suspect that your probably way over carbonated. Try letting the pressure out in stages, by releasing the gas in the headspace, let it build up again and release. repeat as neccesary until its proper.Also if I understand you right you kegged beer mixed with priming sugar? If thats the case you didn't need to force carbonate the yeast will do it for you if you can wait. It's gonna be cloudy though.