Effects of Temp and Light on Bottle Conditioning

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

cleone
Light Lager
Light Lager

Effects of Temp and Light on Bottle Conditioning

Post by cleone »

Howdy, First time brewer, long time drinker . . .

Just opened a bottle of my first batch of home brew. It was a kit and I followed the instructions to add a 1/2 teaspoon of dextrose directly to the bottle (rather than the secondary fermenter). The bottle have been sitting in my basement for two week before opening. The brew is barely carbinated.

I am wondering what effects:

1. Temp has on the carbination process. The bottle were stored at a room temp of about 60% - 65%. I am reading that 70% - 80% is recommended.

2. Light has any effect. The bottles were stored in low light.

Thanks
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

Welcome!

Temp always has an affect on yeast. I imagine you're using ale yeast and 60F-65F for most is on the cool side. To answer your question directly, bring them in to around 70F and you should see better performance. I'd give at least 2 weeks for them to build up carbonation. You'll find the longer you let your beers age, the better they'll taste.

As a side note, lower temperatures reduce metabolic activity. Conversely, higher temperatures increase metabolic activity. To make the best beer possible, you'll want to make sure you stay in the recommended temperature range for the yeast you're using. Higher temperatures throw off more fermentation byproducts, such as fusels, that don't always compliment your brew. But the cooler you ferment it, the cleaner tasting the product will be. And if you go too cool for the yeast, they'll go on strike and go to sleep. My two rules on making great beer: sanitation and temperature control.

Again welcome, and I'm sure you'll come across these things as you evolve as a brewer.

v/r
Bill
cleone
Light Lager
Light Lager

How about Light Conditions

Post by cleone »

Thanks for the warm welcome. Looking forward to a long and fruitful journey of home brewing.

How about light? Any concerns/effects of light on the bottle conditioning process?

Thank again
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

Oops...sorry about that.

You want to keep beer away from UV lightwaves. This wavelength will react with hop compounds and 'skunk' the beer--this is also known as 'lightstruck.' Brown bottles are the best at filtering out UV. Green bottles are next best. And clear bottles....stay away from, no filtering at all.

v/r
Bill