Burton Stench?????

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Burton Stench?????

Post by Fraoch »

Ive split a batch of beer for 2nd fermentation due to storage limitations and fermented at 60f. One barrel (screw lid, plastic type) is fine but stopped at 1018, the other stopped at 1018 also but has a distinct eggy smell and taste. It is still bubbling through the airlock though.I had problems getting this one sealed air tight and gave a squirt of sodium met to ward off oxidisation etc. I pitched another "clean' yeast in the belief that fermentation stopped due to pitching rate and moved to a warmer spot, the grav seems to be moving again, the smell is now worse! Is one barrel stuffed? Or is this Burton Stench? ( infection with ZYMOMANAS?) and does this go??
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

H2S

Post by Freon12 »

Could be sulfide(hydrogen sulfide)produced by the yeast. Did you use a lager yeast at ale temp? Anyway, should go away in time(maybe 2 weeks or more). Don't seperate the yeast from the beer, the yeast will get rid of your egg. I don't know why there would be a difference between batches on the same yeast unless it is infection+ruined beer. Let me know.