too much junk?

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Radler
Light Lager
Light Lager

too much junk?

Post by Radler »

Ok, so pretend that I was stupid for a few minutes on brewday and in the confusion of how to get one thing from the brewpot into the carboy I forgot that I wanted to keep a lot of other things out (grain, hop rests, chocolate bits, etc.) How much will having pretty much everything that was in the brewpot now in my carboy? Should I rack to secondary ASAP (it's been 4 days now)? Or is it already too late? It had a furious fermentation for two days and now it's been bubbling consistently every 45 seconds. Any thoughts would be more than I've got.
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Probably ready to rack anyway

Post by KBrau »

If you had a vigorous fermentation and the airlock is only bubbling once every 45 seconds than you are probably ready to rack anyway. I would take a hydrometer reading and see if you are near your final gravity. If so than go ahead and rack. If not that I would let the fermentation finish rather than worry about the crap that got into the fermenter. I always try to avoid getting that stuff into the primary as best I can but I never stress about it getting in there. This is especially true if you are brewing an ale which has a breif primary fermentation because it is only in the primary a fairly short time and has limited contact time. I just brewed a Munich Helles lager a couple of weeks ago and got way more hop material into the fermenter than I wanted. It was in the primary for 2 weeks before I dropped the trub and it still tasted great. The most important thing to keep in mind when brewing is never to stress about it. I hope this was helpful.

Rich