Slow Fermentation

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Slow Fermentation

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Ok, I have made a few batches in my day and have been all-grain for about a year. My buddy and I decided to make a 10 gallon batch, split it into two carboys and use two different yeasts. No big deal right...
Well I used London Ale yeast and he used British Ale yeast. Both had good fermentation within 24hrs. He transfer to a secondary after a week in the primary with a gravity of 24. Mine got transferred to a secondary after two weeks in the primary with a gravity of 22. The OG was 54. There doesn't appear to be any activity but I will be taking a reading tomorrow. I have bottle beer that hadn't finished fermenting... it's not pretty when the bottles blow.
What do I do if the gravity hasn't changed? Beer Tools said that I should FG around 12. I have never experienced this problem.

James
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Wow ... try this

Post by Azorean Brewer »

James,

What temp are your carboys at? You might want to try and warm them up a bit to say 72F-75F ? ? ? No more than 80F, that might jump start the yeast ... either way tough situation, I know what you mean about "Da-bomb" ... I had a few exposives in my past too ... the room stunk for weeks afterwards especially on rainy days ... and I scrubbed and scrubbed ... my honey made sure of that LOL ...

Good luck,

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"