can a newby brew stout?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

dregsucker

can a newby brew stout?

Post by dregsucker »

I am looking at getting into home brewing. I like sweet stout (Sam Adams Cream Stout is quite good) and would like to try my hand at brewing it. Any simple recipes for a complete newby?
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

absolutely!

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Hey, welcome to a great hobby/obsession!

I think that dark beers are actually a lot more forgiving than lighter styles for new brewers. Probably 4 of the first 5 beers I ever brewed were porters and stouts, and they all came out decent enough for my newbie tastes.

There are lots of extract stout recipes and kits. You'll get into using light extract and a small amount of specialty grain for flavor and color soon enough, so you can either go that route right away or go simpler and get a stout extract kit. The secret to making a cream stout or a milk stout is the addition of a small amount of unfermentable lactose (milk sugar). You can probably find several good sweet stout recipes on this site as well.

Brew Like You Mean It!
Jim
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

first ever brew

Post by fitz »

My first ever brew was an English Nut Brown Ale that I tweaked with Dark DME and licorice root to make a wonderful stout. Quite easy, and very tasty. Maybe I'll try that one again, haven't thought of that one in a long while.