Or Special B

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Gambrinus

Or Special B

Post by Gambrinus »

Leinenkugel's does not use roasted barley for the red color. Caramel 60L from Briess is used.

Personally, I would recommend that a homebrewer use Special B for a good red color, but the OP asked about a Leinie's clone.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Munich malt

Post by jayhawk »

I have achieved a great red tone with a blend of Munich and crystal malts. I have never tried Special B, but have read good things.
Chris
vtterror
Light Lager
Light Lager

Red color

Post by vtterror »

I'm not sure if there's more to this thread than the two messages I can see, however...
Special B does indeed give a nice red color, however it also gives quite an intense hit of caramel flavor. If you're looking to add caramel to your flavor profile, this is one way to do it. A SMALL amount of chocolate malt will also add a nice ruby color without adding much of a kilned malt flavor. I'm not familiar with Leinenkugel (oh horrors!) but if it's a German beer, roasted barley would never be appropriate as it is not a malted grain and everyone knows that German beer by law may only have malt, hops, and water. There's another nice malt, Cara Red that adds a nice red color,though lighter than chocolate malt would add. Good luck.