Working with Fruit Puree

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

stoneybrew

Working with Fruit Puree

Post by stoneybrew »

I'm looking to do a Raspberry wheat beer and planning on using some of the Oregon Brand Fruit Puree. Any suggestions on the best time to add it if I want a good fruit flavor, but have it still taste like beer? I've seen about a 50/50 split for primary vs. secondary. Are there drawbacks to either?

Thanks for the advice.
~Stoney
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Personally

Post by fitz »

Personally, I would add it in at the primary stage just because you have more room for the activity. If you put it in the carboy, you may have a volcano of beer if you aren't really careful. As I stated in a previous thread about lactose, if you are making fruit beers, and you don't have much fruit flavor, try to add some lactose to "sweeten" the beer some. That is what you have to do with wine to "get the fruit flavor back" once the yeast has eaten all the sugar.
stoneybrew

Thanks!

Post by stoneybrew »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a go.
Elwood

Just curious

Post by Elwood »

Stoney,
How did it go?

I'm brewing a blackberry wheat this week using the Oregon puree as well. I was planning on letting the primary ferment for a few days, until it begins to slow, then add the fruit. Then rack it to the secondary when fermentation is finished. This seemed a decent alternative to a blow off tube... or crudding up an airlock.