light or gold?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

abbby

light or gold?

Post by abbby »

can light malt be used instead of gold for a similar result? Like alexanders gold, replaced with muntons light?
Thanks
Joe
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Light ME vs. Gold ME...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Typically (but not always) the descriptor "Gold" is used to infer that the formulation of the liquid malt extract includes malts that lend color to the product. Such ingredients can, and typically do, include various forms of crystalized or /and lightly roasted malts such as caramel, CaraPils (TM), Vienna, Munich... whereas the cans labeled "light" are typically made from base malts... either 2 row English style pale or Pilsner malts. IMPORTANT: The following statements are made assuming that the extract you are buying is non-adjuncted ! With adjuncted meaning the inclusion of sugar sources other than malt. In some cases, inferior or brewing grade barley is malted, extracted and suplimented with sugars before brewing, condensation and packaging.

The best course to follow short of all-graining, in my experience, is to use extra light dried malt extract as a base for all of your beers. That way, you can add specialty malts via steeping to get exactly the character desired from the style of beer you are creating... and with the correct color value. I have yet to see a liquid malt product that can substitute for it. The closest was Bierkeller, a German malt producer, who unfortunately, went out of business a couple of years ago.

There are a couple of exceptions to my recommendations above, but for 90+ % of the styles most homebrewers make, they will hold true.

At first glance, it seems that most DME is more expensive than LME. But , in fact, it is cheaper per gravity point attained per pound and you don't pay to ship water !

Eric