What a Day!

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

What a Day!

Post by BillyBock »

I'm tired....I started brewing today at 9am. But I have 20 gallons to show for my efforts--all extract BTW. I made a Harp's clone and a lawnmower beer. I haven't done extract with steeping grains in ages. But most things went well, except for my massive brain fart. As I was filling the first carboy of the lawnmower beer (the last batch) I noticed it was hot. Too hot. Why? I forgot to turn the water on to my counterflow. Before I knew it I had 2 gallons of boiling wort in there! I moved quickly and turned it on. No cracked carboy fortunately. So now I have to wait for it to cool down to pitching temps--but it's almost there! Ahhhh, but in two weeks I'll resurrect my all grain Guinness recipe. I can't wait, I love stouts. I can taste it now! :-)

v/r
Billy "Where did my brain go?" Bock
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

share Guinness notes?

Post by Gravity Thrills »

How much roasted barley and flaked barley is in your Guinness clone? I have to put 1.5# of roast into a 6.5 gallon batch to get it dark enough, and it takes 2# of flaked barley to get a dense and persistent enough head to mimic the nitro varsion with a regular CO2 keg dispense. Just looking for some notes to compare, becaus I think it's next on my schedule as well.

Cheers,
Jim
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Guinness Notes

Post by BillyBock »

For a 5 gal batch, my first few attempts used 1# of roasted barley and 1# of flaked barley. This time I'll up the flaked to 2#.

I remember the color of mine wasn't as dark as I would've like it. I later found out that my roasted barley was more like 350L (like chocolate malt) instead of 500+L. So I've been debating whether to replace it with black malt, or augment the roast with black malt. But, the proof's in the tasting and the original was very well received even by folks that don't normally like dark beers. So, what's a brewer to do? *sigh*

v/r
Bill
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thanks Bill

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Thanks for your two cents on the style. I would not try replacing the roasted barley with patent or you will lose the distinct dry stout flavor profile and end up with something more like an English stout minus the residual sweetness, or a very robust porter. The character of the roasted barley is really a defining element in Irish stout.

Cheers,
Jim
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

No Prob!

Post by BillyBock »

Hey, no problem. I live for stouts!