Safale sO4 and mouth feel

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Safale sO4 and mouth feel

Post by Fraoch »

Opportunity has come my way and i am jumping on the chance to brew a stout this weekend(see Oathead Stout). Problem is that due to difficulties i cant get my expected Wyeast 1084 Irish.So i am having to use the best dried yeast i know which is the Safale s04.Ive used this many times before but prefer the liquid yeasts as i am inclined to believe that they give a "crisper" mouthfeel to the finished product.Safale on the other hand tend to give a more "cluggy" feel to the beer./Am i making sense???? probably not,but the liquid tend to give the beer a lighter texture if you like.
Given the above information,
(1) Has anybody else experienced this or am i just bloody daft??
(2) Whats the best temp to use s04 at in order to give that crispness of taste?????

I'll be pitching a whole packet in a2ltr starter at high krausen( og around 1050, same as the beer itself) to approx 43ltr wort.
There are several other yeasts i could use but none of them liquid.I have a packet of dried yeast from EDME that came with some kit brew i was given,the extract had gone off but i kept the yeast.I seem to remember Mesa mentioning EDME ale yeast some way back and was wondering if this was the same stuff? Its just called "brewing yeast" which makes me suspicious and for some reason is packaged in Le Saffre, France,
Thanks in advance,
Fraoch
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

EDME

Post by dartedplus »

EDME ale yeast is what I used before I switched to liquid yeast. I thought that it made pretty good brew. I dont know about the crispiness though. I'm sure you could probably find the attenuation of safale somewhere, it probably just leaves a little more of the fermentables as compared to your liquid yeasts.
Ed
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

specifics

Post by Fraoch »

S04 brews out very well, its not dextrins im talking about but rather a certain mouthfeel that this particular yeast leaves behind. i have no choice but to use it but was hoping that someone could give me a way to avoid this characteristic. Ive just looked at the dcl website at dclyeast.co.uk and it reccomends that it be pitched at above 20c and brewed at +/- 3c of 27c.This is very high!I guess im just trying to get something that i cant from a dried yeast.Wheres Mesa when you need him,thought this one would be up your alley so to speek,you'd be the man that'd know,am i trying to get blood from a stone? or polishing the proverbial "T"?
Fraoch