New to all grain

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

canman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

New to all grain

Post by canman »

Hey Folks; I am presently building an all grain system (3 teir gravity fed) all I need now is my kettles. I'm looking for ideas for a first brew. Something simple so I can enjoy the first time with not too much hassle. Any ideas?? Thanks
Popsicle

Easy Peasy

Post by Popsicle »

Other than a handful of styles (I.e.: wheat beers or any Lambic/Belgian soured ales) they're all relatively the same. Wheat can be problematic if the rate of sparge isn't slowed way down or add rice hulls. High-gravity brews can sometimes require a little finesse with the deep grain bed. Hey, throw caution to the wind! Decide what you like to drink and brew it! (Of course if I were you, I'd start early in the day and have nothing else planned! Just kidding, you'll do just fine.)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Three tier system

Post by jeff »

I just finished building a three tier system too! I used three 8 gallon stainless steel turkey friers which came complete with burners. The scariest part was drilling the holes in the bottom of my shiny new kettles! On its maiden voyage, I tried the system out on a Blond Ale. Kept the recipe simple so I could concentrate on the process. I wanted to collect 6 gallons so I would end up with 5 gallons after siphoning the wort off the trub and siphoning from the primary to the secondary. My recipe included 11.5 pounds of American 2-row, 1 pound of Vienna and 1 pound of flaked rice. The original gravity was at 1.060 when the yeast was pitched (I wanted it on the strong side). I used 3/4 of an ounce of North Down hops at 7.4% AA for 60 minutes. It is bubbling away as I type and all indications suggest that this will be a great beer. I tasted the wort before fermentation and it had a very clean taste. I have tasted some batches at this stage which were not nearly as pleasant.
I think it is a good idea to make the first batch simple, but definitely something that you will enjoy. Thus you can familiarize yourself with the system and find your rhythm.
Team Beer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Which ever you choose stick with single step mash

Post by Team Beer »

My first all grain batch was a stout. My thought was a single step mash so I could concentrate on the system and a beer dark enough to hide any possible imperfections ( clarity, minor off flavors etc. ) but still be able to be proud enough to serve friends, say hey this was my 1st all grain batch. Good Luck !!!