Standard Recipes That Will Work With The Mr. Beer Kit?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

michfan12

Standard Recipes That Will Work With The Mr. Beer Kit?

Post by michfan12 »

A friend and me have been brewing with the Mr. Beer system for a while now and have really enjoyed our introduction into the home brewing experience, although the mr. beer website has tons of recipes I was wondering if there any ways to use the thousands of 5 gallon recipes with the instructions and tech of the 2 gallon fermenting keg in the kit? Any help would be appriciated, thanks.
slothrob

Re: Standard Recipes That Will Work With The Mr. Beer Kit?

Post by slothrob »

Sure, all you need to do is use 2/5th of the ingredient amounts. So as an example, if a recipe called for 5# of extract and 1 oz of bittering hops, you would use 2# of extract and 0.4 oz of hops.

You could even use it for small-scale all grain brewing. I do something similar, by mostly brewing 3 gallon batches.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
winedoggybag

Post by winedoggybag »

Definitely try all grain brewing 2-3 gallon batches, A-MAZING. works great with Mr. Beer's system

http://boozebin.com/
Benjamin1c
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Benjamin1c »

I also got started out using Mr. Beer. I got it for christmas couple years ago. It was neat, with the cute little labeled malt cans and different recipes you can follow. And at least it gets you acquianted with the basic process.

I found out really quick, however, how un-economic it is to use the Mr. Beer ingredients. Costs about 9 bucks, last time I checked, for one of the 1.3 pound hopped extract mixes, about the same for a Mr. Beer unhopped extract.

My local homebrew shop sells its cans of Briess or Muntons extract for around $12... for the THREE plus pound cans. It makes perfect sense to buy ingredients elsewhere.
I still use the Mr Beer fermentor, though, for small 2 gal trial batches.
I have one going right now, a porter flavored w/ coco powder. Used 2 lbs dme; a 1 lb dme should be right about equal to the 1.3 lb liquid Mr. Beer extract. This is unhopped of course. However, this small 2 gal scale is a good way to experiment with "full volume" boils for me, since my largest pot is 3 gal. Full volume boil is the best way to get a precise level of hop bitterness, as I understand.
If I ever want to expand this or any recipe to the 5 gal., I figure I'll simply multiply quantities by 2.5
wlandford

mr beer

Post by wlandford »

i got started with mr beer also. before i moved to doing 5 gal batches i used 5 gal kits from "brewers best" just split the kit in half. using a little extra of everything just made the beer more flavorfull.