Where do you buy your ingredients...and why?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Northern Brewer
14%
Midwest
No votes
William's Brewing
No votes
Beer-Wine.com
14%
Local shop
71%

Total votes: 7

barrycycles

Post by barrycycles »

Hi,

Looking for a good place...

Barry
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Where do you buy your ingredients...and why?

Post by wottaguy »

Hi Barry and Welcome to the board.

I have recently been using Brewmasters Warehouse and ordering my complete recipes from them. On their site you are able to create or enter your recipe and once saved into your account, you can order your recipe as a kit. I have ordered from them a couple of times now and they have been great! All the grains come in a single bag with the yeast and hops in their own separate bag.

I have spoken with the owner a couple times and he is a straight up guy and a knowledgeable homebrewer too. In other words, he knows what he is talking about! They have great delivery times and the ingrediantrs are very fresh!

If they don't have an ingrediant that's in your order, they will call you on the phone and ask you if you would like a substitute. Their staff is very friendly and easy to work with.

Here's the URL to their site:

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/

Check it out and tell them I sent you! :D

Hope this helps!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
slothrob

Re: Where do you buy your ingredients...and why?

Post by slothrob »

I need to vote "other", but I voted Beer-Wine, because I buy more from them than any of the others listed, but that's just because they are 5 minutes from my house.

Thanks for the recommendation, Wattaguy. I was curious about Brewmaster's Warehouse. They have a good price on the Kölsch Malt that I want to try.

I get most of my base malt from North Country Malt, since I buy in bulk and the difference between their price and what I can get locally is dramatic.

I buy most of my hops by the pound from HopsDirect, andFreshops, if I want smaller quantities. I make a rough plan of what beers I want to make over the next 6 months to a year, then place one big order near the start of the year.

I use my local for small quantities of hops for a particular beer and for some that aren't available in bulk. I'll also buy hops from them instead of making a bulk order if it's right before the hop harvest. I also buy a lot of my specialty grains and all my yeast from them, as well as a lot of equipment.

I do buy from Northernbrewer occasionally when they have a special grain I want and for some equipment that isn't available locally.[/u]
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
bobcat_brewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by bobcat_brewer »

I buy just about everything from a local shop. If there's something I'd like that they don't have, they'll get it for me.
caughtinamosh87
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by caughtinamosh87 »

I've been buying from Northern Brewer the last 6 months or so except for yeast which I still get at my LHBS. The LHBS closest to me closed down, but before that I was getting shorted on ingredients and they didn't always have what I wanted/needed. Northern Brewers extract was cheeper too! I buy like 3 batches worth of stuff at once and it easily offsets the $7.99 shipping. I've been very happy going through them.
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

I voted for local shop because there wasn't a choice for other. I actually get most of my base grain from North Country Malt as part of a group buy. Hops, specialty grains, and yeast I get from my local shop, The Brew Hut.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
pfrichar

Local shop

Post by pfrichar »

Even if it is a little more expensive, I buy from my local shop. I want him to stay in business since I rely on him for stuff as well as advice. Plus, he stocks over 40 different grains and has never been out of a grain I needed.

The shop is Maine Brewing Supply, 542 Forest Ave, Portland, Maine
New brewer (since 11/09). Brewing with extracts but thinking all-grain is in my future.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I buy from a few sources

Bulk Grain - Countrymalt
Specialty Grains, Yeast and Misc - Northern Brewer in Milwaukee or local shop.
Hops - Freshops (Bulk) and some from the local shop

Jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Benjamin1c
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Benjamin1c »

I've gotten almost everything from Maryland Homebrew, fortunately I happen to live about 2 miles from them. They stock basically everything you might conceivably use, from ingredients to additives to the fanciest possible equipment.

www.marylandhomebrew.com is the site, they also do mail order.