What is Pale Malt (2-row) in BeerTools?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

blackholebrewer

What is Pale Malt (2-row) in BeerTools?

Post by blackholebrewer »

Hi! I am a new to all grain brewer (2nd batch is going on right now). I am trying to put the recipe into BeerTools and have a couple of questions. The store I bought the recipe kit (just grains, yeast and hops) from uses ProMash to print out the info. It lists Pale Malt (2-row) origin: America, Potential: 1.036. I can't find that in Beer Tools. Also, I noticed that with the ones I could find (Crystal 60L) the potential listed on the sheet didn't match with the number in Beer Tools. Is this why my first one didn't come out as being in the green for style tab?
Thanks!
Dell
slothrob

malt

Post by slothrob »

"Cargill Two-Row Pale", "Pale Ale Malt"(Breiss), or even "Canadian Craft Brewers Pale Malt" would be appropriate choices. The specific one would depend on the specific source of the malt, but they are approximately equivalent.

The potential is editable in BeerTools Pro by adding it to My Ingredients or the recipe window, then double clicking on the grain and changing the Original Gravity value. These values are lot specific for the malt, and will need to be adjusted, depending on how precise you want to be.

It's possible that the values were off enough to bump the recipe out of the style guidelines. It's also highly possible that the recipe wasn't formulated to be fully in style, which isn't uncommon. It could be that the recipe designer felt they got a more desirable beer by exaggerating or subduing a characteristic slightly. What beer was it and which values fell out of the green?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP