need help brewing a scotch ale

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

jibfest89

need help brewing a scotch ale

Post by jibfest89 »

I'm fairly new to brewing and I want to try out a scotch ale recipe I found on here. here is the link http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=7081

anyways I had a couple questions about it. first of all that seems like a LOT of molasses from what I've read, but the author said he substituted it for dark malt extract, so does that seem like it would work? Also when would I add the molasses and the heather?
jmorignot
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: need help brewing a scotch ale

Post by jmorignot »

jibfest89 wrote:I'm fairly new to brewing and I want to try out a scotch ale recipe I found on here. here is the link http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=7081

anyways I had a couple questions about it. first of all that seems like a LOT of molasses from what I've read, but the author said he substituted it for dark malt extract, so does that seem like it would work? Also when would I add the molasses and the heather?
Well add the molasses in the boil?!
About the oats I'm surprised that he didn't mash them?! I always thought oats flakes required a mash? Experts, your thoughts about it? Partial Mash or simple steeping for that recipe?
slothrob

Scotch Ale

Post by slothrob »

A Scotch Ale is out of my comfort zone, and this one seems like more of a specialty or Christmas beer, so I didn't want to comment. I do think that the amount of sugar in this recipe is very high, though. Almost 30% of the fermentables come from sugars, either Molasses or Lyle's Syrup. This is quite high, and will probably result in a beer that takes some time to age, maybe a year or more. I'd ferment this close to 60°F, to minimize problems from this.

I also think that there are good reasons to limit the use of flaked grains to a mash. Some extract brewers do steep them, but I can't imagine that they add anything but starch, leading to a risk of off flavors.

Other than those reservations, I'd add the molasses to the last 15' of the boil. Alternately, adding it to the fermentor as the primary fermentation is starting to slow would reduce the stress on the yeast and it's resultant off flavors.

I'd add the heather tips at the end of the boil, before the chill. That would maximize the aroma effect. I'm not sure if the brewer was using them for bittering as well, though.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Sapper
Light Lager
Light Lager

I made an outstanding Scotch Ale a few years ago

Post by Sapper »

Here's my recipe for Scotch Ale:
http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=4219

Look it over and see if it can help you with your recipe.
This recipe won 2nd place (Strong Ale category) at the state fair in 2005.
I still have a few bottles in my basement that are going on 5 years old.
I am going to open one around Christmas to see how it has aged.
jibfest89

Post by jibfest89 »

Hey thanks for the replies. I added the heather in the beginning of the boil because thats what the packet told me to do. I just racked this into my secondary on wednesday and it tasted pretty good for what stage its in. I'm hoping it turns out well.

Sappy I actually had a struggle picking between this recipe and yours. I basically ended up doing eenie meenie miny mo :P. I think I'm going to give yours a whirl next and see how they compare.
Sapper
Light Lager
Light Lager

Great

Post by Sapper »

Best of luck.
Let us know how it turns out.