Ginger in beers

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Grizz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Ginger in beers

Post by Grizz »

OK I love Pumpkin Pies and all other pumpkin spiced items. I do not like the amber like base beers that most pumpkin beers are so i brewed. I did a pumpkin wheat beer with pumpkin and pie spices. Now the beer finished and racked to keg. I find that it has a little extra bitter after taste(not a hoppy bitter) . Spices went in the boil at the last 10 min. I did use 2 oz of Mt. Hood 5% alpha hops. 1 oz @60 min, .5 oz @ 30, .5 @15min. The body and mouth feel are prefect nice aroma to. Could the ginger or clove gone bitter from to much boil time? No spice beers under my belt till now.
Beer is to Men as Water is to Fish!
spgriffin
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

pumpkin

Post by spgriffin »

I would add the spices at flameout or to secondary; I think cooking them at 220degrees or higher likely pulled some of the essential oils from it and the off-flavors occurred.
Grizz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Spices

Post by Grizz »

Next batch I plan on doing the spices will go in vodka for an extract. Then adding it before bottling or kegging. This will give me more flavor control. Also I think less hops.
Grizz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Grizz »

Well gave my pumpkin brew to a few trusted friends. They all have said the beer came out great. As often is the case with things of taste I am my own worst critic. Still will rerun the brew with the spice extract.
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Ginger in beers

Post by a_daley »

If you used fresh ginger I grate it then let it simmer for approx 45 mins... Although I don't use powered spices unless I have to I always add them in the last 10 minutes of the boil... With fresh ginger the outside skin can cause off flavors. I haven't ever had any problems with cloves even when put in at the start of the boil.... (I normally brew the wort for approx 60 - 90 mins depending on the recipe used)