First Wheat

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Gargon

First Wheat

Post by Gargon »

Hey guys new to Brewing and these forums, and was wondering your thoughts.

wanted to make a wheat beer but only know the ways of extract ATM.
This is what i came up with

6 lbs - Briess Bavarian Wheat DME (60%/40%)
1 - oz Hallertau (60 min)
1 - oz Saaz (5min)
1 oz or 1/2 oz Coriander (10 min)
1 oz or 1/2 oz Bitter Orange Peel (10 min)
1 lbs - Honey (5 min)

WLP400 - Belgium Wit w/starter

wondering about any idea's or thoghts to make this a nice balanced beer.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

I would probably stick with 1/2oz. of coriander and orange peel unless you plan on adding half at 15 minutes and the rest at flameout. Then you may be okay. It's obviously my personal taste, but I feel like when you get that much orange and coriander in, it tends to ruin the wheat flavors.

Also, you might want to try adding some actual wheat to the recipe. Wheat is supposed to be mashed, but if you steep it for an hour at 150-155, you should be fine. Maybe a 1/2lb of white wheat and a 1/2 lb. of flaked wheat.

Belgian Wits are a great beer, but IMO are very hard to do in extract form. Not to say it can't be done...I just never thought I could nail the style exactly with extract. Let us know how it turns out.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
Gargon

Post by Gargon »

thanks for info!

would i need to cut back on the extract in replace of the wheat or are they not fermentable?

im hoping the wife will let me invest in a mash system but you know how that goes.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Oh, I hear ya. That's why I'm in the garage brewing now.

Anyways, you should be fine with that amount of extract.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
slothrob

partial mash wit

Post by slothrob »

This is a good beer for a partial mash. All you would need is a paint-strainer bag from the hardware store (about $1 or $2) and a pot to soak it in. Crushed grain goes in the bag for 60' at 150°F. Lift the bag out, rinse it with a few quarts of 170°F water if you can. Dipping it into another container and stirring a bit will work.

You want at least 0.5# base malt added to 1# of Flaked Wheat, or maybe 0.5# Pilsner Malt + 0.5# Wheat Malt + 0.5# Faked Wheat, for a 5 gallon Wit. Mash in about 3 quarts of water (probably starting at around 160°F before you add the grain). It will probably be a gummy mess, but with the bag that shouldn't be a problem.

Add extract to hit your OG. The mash should contribute about 5-7 points to your OG, which you can correct for by using a little less extract or just leave out the Honey.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Gargon

Post by Gargon »

Kinda following ya.... now you talking in addition to my extract add that or takes some from my extract and combine with? cuase im a fan of more fermentables so im going to guess add with...!
slothrob

wit

Post by slothrob »

The difference in starting gravity won't make make much of a difference. You can add it all together or leave out some or all of the honey, if you want to bring the gravity back down to what the recipe called for.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Gargon

In Fermenter

Post by Gargon »

Well got it all cooked up and put in fermenter. pitched the yeast last night at mid night woke up at 7:00 no much going on airlock hopefully it's bubbling after work but it smells great!!
Gargon

Post by Gargon »

what would be a good time to bottle on this recipe? and how long you think in the bottles?
slothrob

bottling time

Post by slothrob »

Wheat beers are usually best young. You can bottle as soon as you're sure the fermentation is complete and the gravity isn't dropping any more.

Depending on the room temperature they could carbonate in as little as a week, but that almost never happens in my experience. I usually don't open one until the second or even third week in the bottle. On rare occasions, it can take longer than a month.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Gargon

Awsome results

Post by Gargon »

well the beer is done and tastes great steeps some carapils to add to it but turned out nice. alot of settlement on bottom of bottles but to be expected will brew again!
slothrob

wheat

Post by slothrob »

Glad to hear it worked out well. Brew on!
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP