Carbonation Drops

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Carbonation Drops

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Does anyone here use these on a regular basis? I was just looking at a website that claims the coopers carb drops will fully carbonate a beer in 3 days. I'm just wondering if this is an accurate estimate...

Also, how much carbonation do they give off?
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Carbonation Drops

Post by wottaguy »

A friend of mine uses them and it seems to work good for him. Not sure about the 3 day claim tho.

I believe that they're designed to carbonate a 12 oz bottle to a CO2 volume of 2.5 or so.

I'm thinking of using these very soon to prime up a 12 pack that I want to bottle soon, then keg the rest.

But I have figured out to get 2.5 vols of CO2 for 12 - 12 oz bottles, I would have to use 1 oz of corn sugar mixed into water to give 3/4 cups of sugar primer. Then it would take 1 tablespoon of this primer for each bottle to give me the correct amount of carbonation. I just might do this instead during kegging day.

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
slothrob

sugar

Post by slothrob »

They're just sugar. They take just as long as priming with table sugar or corn sugar.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP