Oktoberfest inspired Ale

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Bryon
Light Lager
Light Lager

Oktoberfest inspired Ale

Post by Bryon »

Grabbed a random Oktoberfest recipe from beertools.com, swapped the years for ale yeast, and decided to make an Oktoberfest inspired Ale... Initial details can be found here... More details tomorrow here.

Comments, thoughts, suggestions?
Blog.HomeBrewBeer.net - I'm learning how to home brew, and I'm blogging all about it... Stop by and check it out.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

:shock: :lol: :shock: That blonde's cleavage is quite inspirational. :shock: :lol: :shock:
slothrob

Oktoberfest

Post by slothrob »

Are you aware that Munich and Vienna Malts need to be mashed, not steeped?

Typically, Oktoberfests contain more like 5# of Munich Malt and are a primary component of an Oktoberfest's flavor. 1/4# of Munich and 1/3# of Vienna won't give a noticeable flavor contribution. It's not going to taste much like an Oktoberfest, but you look like you have a decent Alt recipe there, but I'd either drop the two base malts or bump them up to a couple pounds and do a mini-mash.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Bryon
Light Lager
Light Lager

Well its a learning process...

Post by Bryon »

slothrob wrote:Are you aware that Munich and Vienna Malts need to be mashed, not steeped?

Typically, Oktoberfests contain more like 5# of Munich Malt and are a primary component of an Oktoberfest's flavor. 1/4# of Munich and 1/3# of Vienna won't give a noticeable flavor contribution. It's not going to taste much like an Oktoberfest, but you look like you have a decent Alt recipe there, but I'd either drop the two base malts or bump them up to a couple pounds and do a mini-mash.
No, I didn't know that... I'm just finally moving past brew kits and grabbed a random recipe off of beertools.com perhaps I chose poorly? I crushed the grains and then steeped them as per the recipe/notes... Oh well, such is life... Lets hope it at least taste good once all is said and done...

Legman, glad you found the blond inspiring... ;-)
Blog.HomeBrewBeer.net - I'm learning how to home brew, and I'm blogging all about it... Stop by and check it out.
slothrob

Oktoberfest

Post by slothrob »

The problem with the two base malts is that, if they don't convert in the steep, they'll leave starch in the beer. Starch can cause haze and, since yeast can't eat it, provide food for growth of contaminating bugs. I strongly recommend reading Palmer's "How to Brew" (see howtobrew.com) and learning about steeepable malts and malts that require mashing.

It's possible that they can convert in the steep, since they also provide enzymes, but the weight is low and the steep volume is probably high for efficient conversion.

Again, the recipe will probably make a decent Alt, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's one of my favorite ale styles.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Bryon
Light Lager
Light Lager

Need Some Advice!

Post by Bryon »

OK, well it looks like, on top of my recipe/method gaffs, something maybe wrong with my yeast...

Please read and provide feedback if you have the time... Yeast are pretty lazy this time around. Is there anything I can do?
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bfabre »

That blonde's cleavage is quite inspirational.
I have to agree, but she has a kind face too. I may be boring but I would only be after her mind.
I strongly recommend reading Palmer's "How to Brew"
I have this book and it is pack with a lot of great information.
Slothrob, good call!!
"B"
slothrob

Alt

Post by slothrob »

A great source for the official style guidelines is the BJCP website.
If you want to try an Alt, and can get the Long Trail brewery's beer, try the Long Trail Ale. Tuckerman's Brewing makes a nice Alt, but it's more limited in distribution.

Try to keep that fermentor cool. Alts like to be fermented in the low 60's to keep the ester profile low. Try placing the fermentor in a shallow pan of water, the evaporating water will help drop it a few more degrees. A t-shirt or towel draped over the side and trailing into the water will help cool a bit more.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Bryon
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Alt

Post by Bryon »

slothrob wrote:A great source for the official style guidelines is the BJCP website.
If you want to try an Alt, and can get the Long Trail brewery's beer, try the Long Trail Ale. Tuckerman's Brewing makes a nice Alt, but it's more limited in distribution.

Try to keep that fermentor cool. Alts like to be fermented in the low 60's to keep the ester profile low. Try placing the fermentor in a shallow pan of water, the evaporating water will help drop it a few more degrees. A t-shirt or towel draped over the side and trailing into the water will help cool a bit more.
I have it in a small bed room with the AC cranked... Should be in the mid 60s... and it's bubbling away now nicely.. See for yourself... thanks!
caughtinamosh87
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by caughtinamosh87 »

Legman wrote::shock: :lol: :shock: That blonde's cleavage is quite inspirational. :shock: :lol: :shock:
Yes Please!! I'll take two! :lol:
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

caughtinamosh87 wrote:
Legman wrote::shock: :lol: :shock: That blonde's cleavage is quite inspirational. :shock: :lol: :shock:
I'll drink to that! :mrgreen:
Was there anything else on that webpage? I didn't get to very far down it. :wink:
Bryon
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Bryon »

Legman wrote:
caughtinamosh87 wrote:
Was there anything else on that webpage? I didn't get to very far down it. :wink:
At least I caught your attention...
caughtinamosh87
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by caughtinamosh87 »

Legman wrote:
caughtinamosh87 wrote:
Suprisingly there was. It took me a few minutes to notice though. :lol: :D
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

How about an Oktoberfest recipe?

Post by billvelek »

slothrob wrote:Typically, Oktoberfests contain more like 5# of Munich Malt ... snip
Speaking of Oktoberfests, slothrob, my brother-in-law asked me to brew one for our family Oktoberfest out at his house in October, so I'm looking for a good recipe. Do you happen to have one. All grain, of course. EDIT: I am looking for an 'ale' recipe -- NOT a 'lager' -- at least something in an ale that will come close to an Oktoberfest.

It's not that I'm too lazy to try to find one myself. I've checked the BeerTools recipe section and there are 59 results for 'all grain' Oktoberfests, but the problem is that I don't recognize any of the user names -- not a single one. Perhaps you do. EDIT: Actually, I do recognize ONE -- "birddog" -- if it's the same person, but that's the only one.

I just don't want to go off on a half-azzed recipe that some amateur thinks is great but it really isn't. Any ideas? I'd especially like to try a recipe that has won an award in a competition somewhere; that would be a good indication that it is definitely up to style guidelines.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
Bryon
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Bryon »

Your avatar it too funny.. LOL! I picked a recipe at random from beer tools, and according to everything I'm reading here and else where, my choice was a mistake, at least as far as an Oktoberfest goes... So, I don't really blame you for asking...