blonde ale

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

dliput
Light Lager
Light Lager

blonde ale

Post by dliput »

Hey, Im trying to make a blonde ale and came up with this recipe..

1.59 lbs. American 2-row
1.59 lbs. Belgian Pils info
0.07 lbs. Crystal Malt 40
slothrob

blonde

Post by slothrob »

That's not much Crystal or Aromatic Malt. I'd probably use between 0.25 and 0.5# each, or you're not going to get much from them.

For a Blonde Ale I'd probably use more Crystal 10 or 20, instead of Crystal 40, but if you get the color you like, 0.25# of Crystal 40 would probably taste nice with the Aromatic.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
dliput
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by dliput »

Thanks slothrob, ill make corrections.
dliput
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by dliput »

Im not entirely sure when i should add the honey. I would think to add it with 15 mins left during the boil. Any suggestions? (Im new at brewing)
slothrob

honey

Post by slothrob »

I don't brew with honey, but I can give you a couple of the points that people consider when adding the honey.

Adding the honey early in the boil will give little honey character, so pretty much just boost the alcohol and thin the body of the beer.

The later you add it the more character you will keep. Some add it in the last few minutes of boil or even at flame out, while the heat is still high enough to pasteurize the honey. That will virtually guarantee that you won't add much of any bacteria.

Some people, who want to really maximize the honey character to the beer, wait until fermentation slows down then add the honey directly, as little can actually live in sugar at that high concentration anyway, or raise the temperature of the honey in some hot water to ~180
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP