ENGLISH BITTER RECIPE REVEIW

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

johnnynothumb
Light Lager
Light Lager

ENGLISH BITTER RECIPE REVEIW

Post by johnnynothumb »

PLAYING AROUND WITH A NEW STYLE

HELP,SUGGESTIONS,ALL COMMENTS WELCOME
12 lbs. American 2-row
.2 lbs. American Caramel 20
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: ENGLISH BITTER RECIPE REVEIW

Post by wottaguy »

Hi johnny,

After reviewing your recipe, I think what I would do is to replace the 12 lbs. American 2-row with some English 2 row.

Also, typically and keeping true to style, I would use Challenger and East Kent Goldings, or any other English hop available. Fuggles maybe?

Not sure how big this batch is (10 gallons??) but I think I would back off a bit with the Flaked Oats.

The yeast you selected is fine, but personally, I think I would try the Wyeast ESB yeast for this batch. I always have had great results with this yeast.

Hope this helps!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
akueck
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by akueck »

I second the motion for English 2-row and EKG hops. I recently made a bitter which was basically Marris Otter plus a little crystal and EKG and it's very good.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Grain Bill - Delete the chocolate, roast barley. Replace the american 2-row with Marris Otter or Golden Promise.

Hops - Replace the american hops with East Kent Goldings (Bittering & Flavor) and maybe a little Styrian Goldings for aroma.

Yeast - Wyeast London ESB

Recipe looks more like an hopped up "Oatmeal" Mild on steroids as is. Thats a lot of oats, I only used 1 Lb in a Oatmeal Stout (6gal) this weekend.

Jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)