Rauchbier

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Rauchbier

Post by dartedplus »

I was thinking about making a rauchbier, but I dont have a smoker. Can I smoke a portion of my malt in the oven without changing its color, because afterall I just want that smokey taste. I have my ingredients together to make a german altbier, and I figured whynot smoke it. ( and yes I realize that a rauchbier is supposed to be a lager, but I just cant do that right now) Any suggestions would be helpful. thanks , Ed
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Smoking malt

Post by jayhawk »

No guarantees, Ed, but here is a method for smoking malt from "The Homebrewers Recipe Guide" by Higgins, Kilgore & Hertlein. Personally, I have never tried this.

Materials: charcoal BBQ, metal wire mesh, wood chips (hickory/apple wood recommended), malt.

Method: Soak woodchips in water/beer. Ignite small amount of charcoal in grill. When coals are almost ready to cook on (grey ashen colour w/ red glow), crush grains and soak in water for 5 to 10 minutes. Spread wood chips on the coals. Spread the grains on the wire mesh, then place on grill over the chips and coals. Cover and let smoke for 15 to 20 minutes. Check occaisonaly, mixing them if they are smoking unevenly. Keep a spray bottle w/ water handy in case they seem to be burning. Use as normal.

Good luck.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Rauch malt

Post by andytv »

Good german rauch malt is readily available for less than $2 / pound, and a little goes along way. I'm sure you can smoke it yourself, but from my experience (as a brewer & a smoker) you results would likely vary from session to session,consumer model smokers just dont offer that great of temp control (or maybe yours does).
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I Forgot

Post by dartedplus »

When I made that post I had forgotten that I could buy smoked malt!!! Its too late now though as I brewed yesterday. For a change I actually hit my target values (quite exciting) I have had some trouble doiing this but since I moved 2 months ago this was the first time I brewed and what a difference the water makes here as compared to where I moved from. <<ps. the water SUCKS in albany NY>> One of these days I will get around to making a rauchbier. Yesterday I made a german altbier. I made it a little darker than the guidelines, but who cares, its MY beer. It is gonna be big and malty...I cant wait. Any how, I digress, thanks for the comments guys!!! Ed