Looking for recipe for Theakston's "Old Peculiar"

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Looking for recipe for Theakston's "Old Peculiar"

Post by Azorean Brewer »

I brew all grain, and I have searched the recipe files for a recipe that would come close to an "Old Peculiar". The only one I found called for 2 lbs of cane sugar (scaled from 11 gallons to 5) and I have a problem with that much "sugar", I don't know how it turned out and if someone was just experimenting. If anyone out there has a good recipe for this style beer, some help would surely be appreciated.

Paul.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

peculiarity

Post by Fraoch »

Dave Line had a recipe for this ale in his book" "Brewing beers like those you buy", apparently it is THE best recipe for Old Peculiar, I have recently made this beer and am drinking one as i type this out. It is very close although it is an extract recipe, i was thinking the same as you, in that wouldnt it be nice if it was a grain beer. The recipe i made was, for 25ltr:

3kg dark DME
1kg soft brown
300g treacle
200g dark crystal
200g roast
70g fuggle pellets
2tsp salt
boil hops for 45 mins

I got 1058 SG and 1020 FG.

The treacle is normally for priming in the keg but as they all inject CO2 these days i just added it late to the boil,

Normally i dont add any sugar to my beers at all and prefer to use only grain. When i turn an extract recipe to grain i normally calculate the equivalent degree of extract in pale malt and then play around with the flavour profile. Say, increase the crystal (brown sugar) and add Black malt to your pale malt quota ( DDME).Youll have to experiment to change the recipe, but the key to T.O.P is the treacle and fuggle hop, this is its "peculiarity". By the way, best of luck, if you come up with a winner please let me know i would like to try it for myself, but i must say that the recipe above is quite good.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

many thanks

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Thanks for taking the time and going through the trouble, that's what we're all here for right ? to help out when we can ...

See ya,
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Graham Wheeler/ Roger Protz

Post by Fraoch »

Have a mash recipe but it may be the one you already have,

For 23 litres @ 1058
Pale 4500g
crystal620g
black120g
mash@ 66c with 13 ltr water