Trappist vs. Belgian Strong Yeast

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

mickeymac
Light Lager
Light Lager

Trappist vs. Belgian Strong Yeast

Post by mickeymac »

Yesterday, I brewed a batch of Belgian Strong Ale. Only after starting the batch did I realize that I bought the wrong yeast for the style. Instead of Belgian Strong Ale yeast, I wound up with Wyeast Belgian Trappist High Gravity Yeast, which Wyeast describes as follows:

Robust top cropping yeast with phenolic character. Alcohol tolerance to 12%. Ideal for Biere de Garde. Ferments dry with rich ester profile and malty palate. Flocculation medium; apparent attenuation 75-80%. (64-78o F)

It's listed on the Wyeast web site as a wheat beer yeast. I used light and amber extract along with biscuit and aromatic malt but no wheat. My OG was 1.082. Does anybody have a clue how this beer will turn out with the Trappist yeast? Thanks
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Should be beer...

Post by dartedplus »

Hey if you dont like it, just send it to me and I bet I'll think its pretty good. My guess is that it will be just fine. I've had a few trappist ales and they are not just wheat beers. I know it wont be what you were shooting for, but that happens once in a while. You might just be very pleasantly surprised with how well it tastes.
I'm in the middle of moving and cant wait to get settled in so that I can start brewing again. I did throw together a batch of "moving beer" a nice am. pale ale just right for quenching the thirst of all of my helpers. At least I hope I have some helpers. Good luck with it, I think it will turn out fine, Ed
mickeymac
Light Lager
Light Lager

Right

Post by mickeymac »

Who knows? Maybe I'll create a whole new style. It's bubbling away and I'll find out in a few months. Thanks