Mexican brew kits

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

beef
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mexican brew kits

Post by beef »

Does anyone know of Mexican brew kit that they really liked? I would like to brew a mexican beer!
mickeymac
Light Lager
Light Lager

Try this

Post by mickeymac »

http://www.bobbrews.com/bobkits.html has a "Rio Grande Cerveza." Although I've never used the Mexican kit, I did make Imperial Stout using the kit from this shop and it was good.
bikeopener

Brewer's Best

Post by bikeopener »

A buddy of mine brewed a mexican beer put together by Brewer's Best. It was some good beer.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Style guidelines?

Post by l48shark »

I brought a German Weizen to my buddy's Cinco de Mayo fiesta. I thought about a "Mexican beer," but is this really a style? What are its characteristics? Just wondering.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Nope...All copies

Post by andytv »

As far as I can tell, Mexican beer styles are copies of pre-existing styles. For example.. Negra Modelo & Dos Equis are Vienna Lagers, and Corona is listed as an American Light/Standard/Premium Lager in the BJCP guidelines. If anyone wants to check out the guidelines, let me know, I can email them to you (pdf)

Andy
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Yup

Post by l48shark »

That's about what I figured. Bottle an American light in clear bottles and let it skunk and you get an MGD clone. But add a lime wedge and... :D

I would like to see your guideline: L48Shark@Yahoo.com

Cheers,
Ford
Monkey Man
Light Lager
Light Lager

my 2 pesos

Post by Monkey Man »

Mexican lagers evolved from an almost extinct style called a Vienna. The vienna style is a lighter version of an Marzen or Oktobrefest. A while ago a bunch of beer making Germans brought this beer with them to Mexico. The style thrived in Mexico, but is almost extinct in Europe.