Mashing Wheat

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mashing Wheat

Post by dartedplus »

I wanted to know if there were different temps that you need to hit when mashing wheat. It is about 50% of my grist. also, what kind of enzymatic power does wheat have. Will I have to do a protein rest??? If anyone has these answers I would greatly appreciate it.
Ed
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Single Infusion OK

Post by BillyBock »

Darted: I've made a 50/50 barley/wheat beer using a single infusion mash with no ill effects to extraction or clarity. Maybe this isn't the "right" thing to do, but it came out rather good if I say so myself. Maybe Mesa has the enzymatic power answers. Just make sure you add some rice hulls as some insurance against a stuck mash.
--Cheers!
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thanks guys..

Post by dartedplus »

Thanks, that is the info I was looking for. The wheat is approx. 51% of the grist, so maybe I will do the barley in a separate container, and put it into the mash tun first, so that I have an adequate grain bed and then put the wheat on top of it. thanks, Ed
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Malted Wheat Considerations....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Malted wheat has sufficient diastatic power to breakdown its own proteins and starches, but does not have a husk. Wheat malt is usually mashed with barley malt to produce an adequate filter bed for lautering.

The protein and beta-glucan content of wheat malt is high compared to malted barley. It is often advisable to use a mash schedule with an protein rest when grist ratios above 25% are used. This rest is normally carried out at temperatures in the 113-127 F range.