Cargill Malt

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Cargill Malt

Post by andytv »

Back to this issue, with which I am still a bit confused; 1) Is it true that the malted barley supplied to rolling rock & produced by Cargill Malting is two-row. 2) If so, is it true that I can successfully mash w/ a single temp? 3) Is this the "Moravian Seed" malt??.

I have a sampling of about 20lbs that I might use for a batch, but I want to know as much as possible beforehand.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Dumped

Post by Freon12 »

I just saluted to 10 gallons of drainage because of this issue. I'm staying out of this.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Moravian topics revisited....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

IF Rolling Rock is using any 2 row (I was always told that like their brethren, they liked 6 row because of their high adjunct useage) and it is labled Moravian, it IS Cargill's 2 row "Moravian" (the seed variety) product. Keep in mind, like all other malt producers, Cargill makes a number of 2-row and 6-row base malts and this is just one of their products, so find out exactly how this malt is labeled. It is IMPOSSIBLE that this would be the Hana malt from the Czech Republic which would not be available in sufficient quantity to meet the demands of this brewer let alone it would be way too expensive.

One thing that puzzles me about the first time this topic popped up, I inferred from the discussion that the person acquired the malt from the sweepings out of the back of a tractor trailer. This is odd since most large breweries use grain silos which are filled from rail cars or bulk grain tankers. I doubt they get their products bagged as this increases costs too much, but maybe I misunderstood the thread.

If in fact this is the malt you have, yes you can mash it like any other two row as that is what it is.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Sorry to hear that....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I'm beginning to wonder what grains you guys really are getting ahold of. I've used every one of the variants we have discussed with no problems. But... I knew exactly what I had and used apropriate techniques given the material at hand. I am beginning to think some of you are getting something other than what you ordered/acquired ! If you doubt that this is the case you should call your supplier and ask what is up.... they may have a bad or mis-labeled batch on their hands.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Don't be puzzled

Post by andytv »

Don't be puzzled, I am sorry to have been a bit glib in describing the details regarding my access to this malt, I was using discretion while evaluating the legality of the opportunity. Turns out that the driver brings the load from the railyard to the brewery, where itis transfered by means of some sort of blower. He claims that after a day of this process, there are a hundred or so pounds of grain which are not able to be transfered automatically (manual labor to $$$). Regardless, I can't identify the grain positively. I'm not going to consider it for use until I can.