Ingredients

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

yooper
Light Lager
Light Lager

Ingredients

Post by yooper »

Just to let all of you who helped me in the past with what I called flavor problems I would again like to give you all a big Upper Michigan Thanks Eh!!! The last batch turned out much better. I just have to watch the temperature at which I pitch my yeast. The next question has to do with ingredients.
I am fortunate enough to live in an area where I can make my own maple syrup and can usually produce about 3 gallons every spring. What I've been doing is experimenting with maple syrup as an adjunt ingredient and the last batch as I mentioned was much better using maple syrup. The question I have is this. Are there any adverse effects that using maple syrup, honey, etc... that I should be aware of? And if there are what can be done to avoid those effects?

Thanks again.
Da Yooper
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Honey Hangovers

Post by Push Eject »

There ain't no hangover like a honey hangover, Yooper. I'm not sure why (I'll bet others more informed than I can tell you).

Also, note that honey contains none of the amino acids that yeast need for nutrition; so use a nutrient. Not sure if the same goes for maple syrup.

Cheers!
Ollie
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

It isn't the sugar source... it's the fermentation temperatu

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

The cause of the headaches/hangovers you have noted are from the production of fusal alcohols by the yeast (see other post I placed on this one earlier). If you keep your fermentation below 78 degrees, this most likely will not occur. Make sure to pitch into your wort/must at 70 degrees, but preferrably lower. The reason is that yeast metabolism of the sugars during vigorous fermentation can raise the wort/must temperature by up to 12 degrees ! The average seems to be 7 degrees in my case. This is where most homebrewers get into trouble with this topic.
mmmmbeer

It's not the Honey

Post by mmmmbeer »

According to Men's Health this month, taking a couple of teaspoons of honey, prior to or after drinking, may reduce your hangover. I haven't tried it yet, but it beats a raw egg!
kingoftheharpies

Acetaldehyde

Post by kingoftheharpies »

This is a by product of fermentation...this is what gives you the headaches.
entguy
Light Lager
Light Lager

yup, it's the fusels

Post by entguy »

By in large, Mesa's got it on the numbers (again) dinging ferment temp as the main culprit here. I'd add a sidebar to mention that there are, however, variations between individuals' suceptibilities to different trace chemicals. For a anecdotal example, I have a friend who can *only* drink dark ales when they are (home)brewery fresh -- any black import is a sure hangover for him. Must be some chemical created by long-term-storage & gradual degradation....