THE BIG SWEET OATMEAL STOUT

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

markdouglas

THE BIG SWEET OATMEAL STOUT

Post by markdouglas »

looking for some input on this recipe. changes? additions?

.5 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
.5 lbs. American Black Patent
.5 lbs. Black Roasted Barley
0.5 lbs. American Caramel 120
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

Mark: my comments follow:

- IBUs, SRM, and OG look about right.
- The yeast you're using isn't quite as attenuative as some other strains, so this will naturally leave you with a higher FG, and thus sweeter.
- Your addition of lactose will also raise your final gravity, by approximately 5 or 6 gravity points. For instance if the beer would normally finish at 1.015, the lactose will raise it to 1.021--lactose isn't fermentable by yeast, and thus sweeter.
- The combination of lactose and low-attenuating yeast, may yield something a little sweeter than you're looking for. Suggest skipping lactose and try recipe w/o it first instead replacing it with an extra pound of extract to make up for the gravity
- The oats will need to be mashed in order to get the available starches into fermentable sugars. Otherwise you'll add starch to you wort, which is good bacteria food but not yeast food
- I've never used molasses. It'd be interesting to see the aggressive profile created between it and black patent.

Hope this helps.

v/r
Bill
markdouglas

Post by markdouglas »

thanks for the input - i subed out the black patent for 1 lbs of crystal 120 and the esb yeast for an irish ale