Old Malt extract

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

tbertsch

Old Malt extract

Post by tbertsch »

I have some old liquid extract (5 years old) that came in sealed bags. In looking at it the extract appears fine but I am unsure if I should use it or throw it away. Any comments would be great.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Hmmm....toss it

Post by BillyBock »

My 2 cents....toss it and go with fresh ingredients. This is from the perspective of making the most of your time and using the freshest ingredients to make the best possible beer. Why chance having nasty beer to old extract?

v/r
Bill
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Old Malt extract

Post by Push Eject »

Although I agree with Billy on principle, It would cost you little more than your time, a couple ounces of hops and some yeast to make an experiment out of your old extract. If I remember correctly extract ain't cheap.

So I say, brew it!

Here's an idea: buy fresh ingredients and brew a batch. One the day you rack from primary to secondary, boil up your old extract and some hops then rack it onto your newly vacated yeast cake from the previous primary. That way you know your yeast will be active, healthy... and best of all, free.

Let us know what you choose to do and how it works out!

Charlie