Ingredients "you tell me"

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

malibu76

Ingredients "you tell me"

Post by malibu76 »

Hey folks,

First off I am fairly new to All Grain Brewing, but I went ahead and built me a 3 tier brewing system, with pump and all. Right now i have a 14 gal stainless kettle, a Large Gott Cooler for my HLT and Mash Tun, all which are outfitted with ball valves and quick disconnects to attatch to my pump. I guess I went overboard, i went from MR. Beer Kit, to Extract brewing " about 2 batches, to partial Mash, and specialty grains to All Grains and a 3 tier system all in about 1 month. Not really, but I just like beer, and as I started I wanted to make the best beer I thought I could make and All Grain is definatley a great way. As for all of the stuff, I think we all go overboard on stuff, gadgets, things we really , really want, and just got to have, but dont have the room for , or what ever , you know what I mean.

So here is my delima: Your advice would be appreciated :?:

Well I have some ingredients that I ordered several months ago, and I would like to see if you can tell me what type of beer its for. I have some grain, which I know i ordered all at the same time, now it may have been a ingredient kit from northern brewer or grape and granary, I cant remember, if not I must have seen a recipe and ordered ingredients per. Since its Durst Grain, Its apparently a German beer.

Grain Bill:
5# Durst Pilsen
1# Durst Medium
1# Durst Dark Munich

I have 2 packets of Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellets 2.1 % Alpha. I dont know if these hops were to go with these grains or not.

I dont have any yeast slurry, ie : Wyeast or Wlabs. I do have a packet of nottingham Dry Ale Yeast, that came with a extract kit "I assume", because I have never bought Dry Yeast, and since my first extract kit, I have never used it again.

So if you could tell me if this grain bill is for a certain type of beer, or if it will make a good beer. Also if these hops will work with these grains.

And last but not least, what type of yeast do I need to get:

Any suggestions on Single Infusion Mash times for this Grain Bill would be appreciated also.

Thank you so very much for your time,

Jimmy :?:
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Whoa ... that's a lot of infomation, and yet not enough :-)

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Jimmy,

Are you going to make a 5 gallon batch ? Do you want to make a lager or ale ? is that all of the ingredients you have ?

Let's assume that you do in fact want to make a 5 gallong batch and it is going to be a lager, you'll need 9 lbs. base malt (IE: Pilsen / Munich) and 1 pound of the medium ? ? ? is that crystal or caramel malt ? OK the hops you have 2 packets of Hersbrucker are they one ounce ea. ?

Answer these questions and then we'll narrow it down a little further OK?

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
malibu76

5 gallon batch

Post by malibu76 »

Sorry about that, yes I am making a 5 gallon batch.

As for the type, I dont remember what I was planning when I bought these ingredients, or if it was a kit.

The packages say,
1# Durst Dark Munich
1 # Durst Medium Crystal
5# Durst Pilsen

the hops are 1 oz packs

Looks like I am about 4 # short on base malt!

Well since it takes 90 days for lagering I guess an ale would be best.

As for ingredients, no, thats all I have at the present. I was told by someone else that the grain bill was not that heavy at what 7 lbs, he said that would be about 1.040 a light beer.

Again, I dont know , you tell me.

hey , thanks alot for the reply,

Jimmy
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: 5 gallon batch

Post by Push Eject »

Hey Jimmy, whatever became of this?

Did you brew something up?!

Charlie