Converting 5G boil recipe to a 3G boil recipe

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

lootcorp
Light Lager
Light Lager

Converting 5G boil recipe to a 3G boil recipe

Post by lootcorp »

Hi guys,

I saw a recipe on homebrewheaven that I wanted to try (the vanilla weizen). Unfortunately, I am only setup to do 3G boils right now, and the recipe is for 5G boils...how can I convert the recipe? It might be a pain because I don't think homebrew heaven divulges the exact measurements of their ingredients in the recipe. Will I lose a lot of character doing a 3G boil on a 5G recipe? Any advice? I just want to get some use out of this stockpot I bought and I'm not really ready to upgrade to full boils yet...

Thanks!
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Concentrated Boils

Post by BillyBock »

Hi, Loot.

As far as generalties go, when you do concentrated boils the wort will be darker than it would've been and you won't get as much bittering power from the hops (so you need to use more). I'm assuming you can ferment 5 gals, in which case you'd top of the fermenter with enough water to get your volume. Otherwise, you'll get a stronger beer.

Without knowing the recipe, it's difficult to give definitive guidance. I did look at their site though, and according to the label the OG is 40 to 50, IBU is 6 to 8. I punched some numbers in Promash for you to get some ideas based on a 5 gal boil. I'm estimating the recipe has 6 lbs of extract, and 1/4 lb crystal 10L to get the gravity and color stated according to the label. It probably also has 1/2 oz of Hallertau mixed in the extract for bittering. With these numbers I get an OG of 46 and IBU=9.

I then converted it to a 3 gal boil. Since the IBU is so low, you won't get too much loss (IBU=8 ) actually. You would either have to boil longer or add a little more hops to get the extra IBU. Personally, I wouldn't futz with it. If you were going to make an IPA then I'd adjust for it, but a Weizen is supposed to be less bitter anyway. And if you did a longer boil, it'd get darker...it's already going to be a bit darker anyway due to the concentrated boil.

My Suggestion: use the recipe as is, and boil it at 3 gals like you're planning. In this particular recipe, I don't think you'll lose much in the way of character.

Hope this helps

v/r
Bill
lootcorp
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks!!!

Post by lootcorp »

Once again, I am humbled by the knowledgeable responses I've received, especially from you Billy! Thanks to all for a great resource for us newbies.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Not a Problem

Post by BillyBock »

No problemo. :-) Glad to be of help.