2nd Gen Yeast

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

2nd Gen Yeast

Post by brewmeisterintng »

All,
Liquid yeast is getting to be on the pricey side at $7 for WLP001 so I have taken the traub from the secondary and pitched it directly into my new batch of Fat Tire Ale. Both recipes call for the same yeast so I figured that I can cut the cost in half if I plan my second batch around the bottling day of the first. The only problem (if you call it that) is that I dry hopped the first batch (SNPA) in the secondary so the hops were transferred into the Fat Tire as well. It took about 12-14hrs before I could tell that the yeast was back in action.
Looking for comments

James
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

What I have been doing

Post by Azorean Brewer »

James,

I have been trying to save money as well. What me and a friend (he also brews) have been doing for some time now is schedule brew dates so it coincides with racking from primary to secondary. For example, on batch #1 is to start a yeast starter one to two days ahead with a tube of Whitelabs fresh yeast.

Brew day (Saturday morning batch #1) I make the lightest of any three given recipes that use the same yeast (Example my 848 Helles using WhiteLabs German Lager yeast). Following Saturday, I brew batch #2 (my Harp Lager Clone) and rack the first batch from primary to secondary. Dump chilled wort from batch #2 on to yeast cake in primary from batch #1, fermentation in 4 hours.

Following Saturday plan out batch #3, brew batch #3 (my Dortmunder Export II) and rack Harp Clone from primary to secondary, dump batch #3 on to yeast cake from batch #1 & #2, again fermentation in 4 hours.

The next time I brew I start all over again with fresh yeast, cuts cost from $7 per batch to $2.33 per batch. I am meticulous about cleanliness when I am racking as not to introduce nasties. So say you wanted to use British ale yeast. Make a bitters on batch #1, IPA on batch #2, Porter on batch #3. Any off flavors from the previous batch because of ingredients is masked by the progressively more darker next batch, tough to do with lighter lagers though. I start with Helles because this is the toughest batch to brew, you can make good amber to dark beers, making good light beers is hard. Good luck,

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Ale or Lager Yeast

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Paul
I never have used lager yeast. Knowing that ales surface ferment and lagers bottom ferment it sounds as if you are getting more viable yeast. I have read that you should skim the ale yeast off the surface during high crouson if you want to get a good yeast starter without all the troub. The problem is I ferment in a carboy.

James
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

no need

Post by richanne »

You don't need to skim off the yeast at high crouson to get a good starter. Wait until the yeast floculates and settles to the bottom.
Richard and Anne Brady
Brady's Homebrew
http://www.bradyshomebrew.com