A Question with hard cider

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

A Question with hard cider

Post by dartedplus »

I know we are all about beer here, but I'm making some hard cider and I want to add some raisins to the cider during its final ferment, and I need to know if I need to sterilize the raisins in any way, and what I should do to accomplish this. Any suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
vtbrewer

Raisin doubts

Post by vtbrewer »

what i do is boil my raisins and add the water and raisins into my wort...this has seemed to work well for me...another method that i have heard but not done is add the raisin to the wort and then use camphor tabs to sterilize the whole thing...
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thanks

Post by dartedplus »

Thanks for the info, I dont really want to add to the volume, but i guess i can boil just a small amount of water to add to the cider.
vtbrewer

in addition....

Post by vtbrewer »

don't need to boil much just enough to sterilze the raisins, the only reason i say add the liquid is that the sugars you boiled out are a good addition
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

OK

Post by dartedplus »

Thanks, I thought that would be the case. Right now I just need to come up with 2 more 1 gallon jugs. Then I'll be all set. Thanks, Ed.
warda

Recipe

Post by warda »

Could you supply a recipe for hard cider. I have wanted to try some for a while but have no idea where to start.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

It's Quite Simple Actually

Post by dartedplus »

All I did was take my fermenting bucket to a local apple farm and asked them to fill it with 5 gallons of fresh cider. The "pressmaster" was more than willing to oblige, and the next day my bucket was full. He gave me a blend of sweet and tart, I dont remember exactly which kinds of apples he used any more. After I brought it home, I had to let it warm up for a day or so because he had it in the reefer. I used wyeast english cider yeast and after 5-6 weeks, it still isnt done fermenting. A couple of weeks ago, I took a couple of gallons and put it into 1 gallon jugs with some raisins, some dark, some light. Just to try to get a little different flavor out of the batch. I think it is almost done, so after I bottle it, I'll let you know how it came out. If you want to contact me ....edthedart@netscape.net
good luck and ask them to NOT blast your cider with the ultraviolet.