*cough* Wife wants me to make her a low carb beer...

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Antin8

*cough* Wife wants me to make her a low carb beer...

Post by Antin8 »

Anyone have any recipes that they care to offer?
the4th

Post by the4th »

The more fermentable your beer, the less carbs it will have. Find a light beer recipe with a good dose of adjunct and some light highly fermentable malt syrup. Toss a few (3-4) beano tablets into the carboy. They will convert some of the unfermentables. This WILL pull some body from your beer. I'd go a little heavier on the hops to compensate for the lack of flavor. Ferment as cool as the yeast will allow to keep the fusels down.
I have a fever.... and the only prescription is more cowbell.
B Stein
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by B Stein »

From Papazans Joy of home Brewing I made Righteous American Real Ale.
But I was on the South Beach Diet and was dying for any homebrew.
So I added some beano drops to the recipe. In some magazines I saw people were adding anywhere from 5 - 15 drops of the liquid to a 5 gal batch. So I decided after 3 days of fermentation that I would add the max 15 drops.

This brew fermented, and fermented for almost 3 weeks total.
The OG was 1.047 and went down to 1.000. It was nice becaus this is a
5.9 - 6.0% ABV Beer. But I admit it was a little thin. I also admit it was better than any comercial light beer I have ever had. If I had it to do all over again I might only add 7 - 10 drops of beano and 1/3 cup of splenda for a little extra (non fermentable and non calorie) sweetness.

In the long run the low carb brew helped me loose 42 pounds over 4 months. Now I add 3 drops of beano to all subsequent batches just to ensure I ferment down to the recipes FG estimates. I think beano is great.

Good luck,

Brad
Work is the curse of the drinking class....Oscar Wilde
Antin8

Post by Antin8 »

Thanks Guys