Stupid question.....

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Justin
Light Lager
Light Lager

Stupid question.....

Post by Justin »

Is German 2-row pils modified enough to use as a base malt and use in a single infusion mash @ 150F?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Pils Malz...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I regularly use Pilsen malts from Weyermann, Durst and Meussdoerffer (the major players from Germany) and all are highly modified. If you want to save time while increasing quality, mash 20 minutes @ 155~158 with a 1.33~1.45 quart per pound coarse grist @ 5.3~5.4 pH. Iodine test for conversion. If negative, recirculate the runnings until clear, then sparge continuously with 6 pH water at 168 deg. F. The lower temperature you mentioned (150), although traditional, is too low of a temperature to take advantage of this technique which takes advantage of a short exposure time.
DreamWeaver
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Pils Malz...

Post by DreamWeaver »

Mesa Maltworks wrote:I regularly use Pilsen malts from Weyermann, Durst and Meussdoerffer (the major players from Germany) and all are highly modified. If you want to save time while increasing quality, mash 20 minutes @ 155~158 with a 1.33~1.45 quart per pound coarse grist @ 5.3~5.4 pH. Iodine test for conversion. If negative, recirculate the runnings until clear, then sparge continuously with 6 pH water at 168 deg. F. The lower temperature you mentioned (150), although traditional, is too low of a temperature to take advantage of this technique which takes advantage of a short exposure time.
Do you think that there is an ill effect by mashing longer with highly modified malts? My understanding is that you have about 2 hours at mash temps before things stop. I usually mash for 60 min @ 154*F, even if conversion was acheived at 20 min I'm not ready due to other tasks.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: Pils Malz...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

"My understanding is that you have about 2 hours at mash temps before things stop."

That fact only applies to enzymatic activity. The regimin that I am recommending is based on the minimum time to reach full conversion and begin vorlauf (recirculation) with the intention of minimizing grain contact time to maximize FLAVOR quality.

"I usually mash for 60 min @ 154*F, even if conversion was acheived at 20 min I'm not ready due to other tasks."

With a bit more planning & pre-preparation, I guarantee this will shorten your brew day AND increase your beer quality. When I went this way, I had to change when I did things because it went so much quicker. Prior to this change, my brew day was 12 hours (7.5 bbl.). I now accomplish the same in 7.5~8 hours! I can prove that the quality hasn't suffered... I entered 11 brews in the Professional Brewers' Cup and won 10 medals (6 silver/4 bronze).

Eric