Big Beer

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Sisu
Light Lager
Light Lager

Big Beer

Post by Sisu »

Hey gang, I want to brew a BIG beer soon.... Alcohol >10%, good complexity, but not too heavy or insanely bitter. Something that will age well too.

I'd like some help/advice/recommendations on an extract or partial-mash recipe for a good, big beer. (I'll step-up my yeast population before pitching).

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Tim
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Belgian triple

Post by fitz »

Belgian triples are high on alc. low on hop bitter, and can range from blonds to darker or heavier. Check out the recipes section under Belgian triple to see if anything strikes you.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Wheat Wine !...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

If ya wanna try something different, how about a Wheat Wine? One of the few recent American style, Wheat Wine is beer that has a 60~70% wheat malt grist (and therefore a slow lauter!) with the rest being 2-row pale which is brewed to Barley Wine strength. They are typically hopped with cascade to a moderate level, but this style is still emergent and I have seen a number of variations. I am not sure of their aging potential because I like them young and therefore have not experienced one that was more than 5 weeks old.

Eric
Sisu
Light Lager
Light Lager

Interesting...

Post by Sisu »

What kind of yeast have you used/would you recommend?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yeast for Wheat Wine...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Almost all of the examples I've had came from the North West and (of course) used WY1056 (Chico). I've gotten away from using this yeast in recent years because almost too many breweries use it, making it a common "house flavor" shared among many breweries. But, in this case, the yeast will not tend to dominate due to the gravity and high wheat usage. But, as I stated in my last post, it is an emergent style and there is plenty of room for experimentation. In any case, you should pitch with a one litre starter to ensure a good start and finish.

Eric