Snipe hunting

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Monkey Man
Light Lager
Light Lager

Snipe hunting

Post by Monkey Man »

I really enjoy Altbairisch Dunkel by Brauerei Aying in Germany. I have tried unsuccessfully to clone this beer, or even make an accurate version of a Munich dunkel. Do any of you have a proven recipe for brewing a clone, or even a good representation of this style. I am an all-grain brewer, but if someone has a good extract recipe I might try it.

Allow me to be more specific. The recipes that have failed me include a clone of the mentioned beer in an issue of BYO that is about 2-3 years old. I think it may be the Feb. 2001 or 2002 issue. This beer was too sweet and not dark enough- it was reddish amber in color. I tried another clone recipe- I think it may have been from 'Beer Captured' by Tess and Mark Tsmatulski. It was cloyingly sweet, and once again not dark enough. There have been other unsuccessful attempts as well.

I am looking for a malty, toffee, nutty, smooth, clean, sweet, but not cloying Munch dunkel. I would like hop presence, but in the background.

I understand that I may be asking for alot- everyone's palate is a little different. I just want a recipe that can get me started down the right path. What I have made in the past has been way off. Usually I can come up with a new idea or style that I haven't brewed and in one or two tries get exactly what I'm looking for. This style/beer has elluded me for years. I am beginning to feel I am snipe hunting. Any help is appreciated. If it makes a difference I will not bear ill will to any advice-giver... even if result is unfruitful. Thanks.

Nate
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I have a way.

Post by Freon12 »

I have put recipes that were close to what I wanted into the beertools and tweeked them to the right color and finishing gravity(sweetness) and IBU(hop presence) and then brewing the results and adjusting from that once again.
I hit a home run with a fest beer and a wit beer using this method to come up with something matching my taste right on the money.

Steve