ingredient kit question

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

brooklynbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

ingredient kit question

Post by brooklynbrew »

Ok im going to order an extract ingredient kit. The kit is for 5 gallons but i only want to do 2.5 gallons cause thats what size my bucket can handle. So if i order the kit do i just cut everything in half? Like if they give me 6 pounds of liquid extract i will only use 3 pounds of it? And the same with the other grains and yeast and sugars? And does it matter if u use the dry yeast or do i wanna pay more for the Wyeast? thanks again for the help

charlie
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Try

Post by fitz »

Try the recipe archive and put 2.5 gal in the volume. You can try the same recipes we use here, scaled back for your size. Since most extract cans are 3.3 lbs, this brings you to a good starting point. add some steeping grains 1/4 pound instead of 1/2 ect. The recipe calculator will do the conversions for you. Give it a shot. If you want a larger bucket, try bakeries or supermarkets if you don't have the cash, or you don't want to spend it. The icing buckets are 5 to 6 gallon foodgrade buckets.
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

1/2 a kit

Post by richanne »

You can take any 5-gallon recipe and halve the ingredients to make a 2.5-gallon batch. But use an entire packet/vial of yeast. You can use dry yeast to save money. Wyeast or White Labs liquid yeast allows you to influence the flavor a bit more. At Bradyshomebrew.com, there are Microbrewery/pilot kits available specifically for the 2.5-gallon fermenter. They are all mini-mash kits with dry yeast. Or you can create your own kit with the Build Your Brew feature. If you order a 5-gallon kit and try to cut it in half, if there is a mixture of grains, you won't be able to separate out half of each grain. Better to just buy what you need.
brooklynbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

ok thanks

Post by brooklynbrew »

thanks for the fast and informing replies. I got 3 gallon bucket cause it came with some kit i got, i will order a 6.5 gallon online when i know i can make a good beer in this 3 gallon. The 6.5 gallon buckets are good to make 5 gallons of beer right? I dont need an exactly 5 gallon bucket do i?
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

6.5 gallon is good

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

For a 5 gallon batch a 6.5 gallon bucket is standard. You want to make sure that you do have headspace because when the wort ferments you will have foam 'on top' of the wort. The size of the foam will probably vary from batch to batch, but an extra 1.5 gallons is usually sufficient.