Stupid question

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

dohertyd
Light Lager
Light Lager

Stupid question

Post by dohertyd »

I've been brewing exclusively from kits, and I'm about to do my first from a recipe this weekend. Here's my (hopefully not too dumbass) question: If the recipe calls for German 2-row Pils, do I need to mill that, or does it go straight in the muslin bag like a crystal malt?
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

No stupid questions ...

Post by Azorean Brewer »

If we didn't ask we would never learn, don't ever feel intimidated about asking any questions here, we are here to help and be helped...

Ok, here goes, YES, you must mill / crush / grind / smash or what ever have you. If you do not mill your grain (this goes for all grains) the core kernels will not get utilized. Be careful how you grind / mill your grain. Hopefully your HBS (homebrew supplier) can do this for you, or you have access to a grain mill. I personally use a Corona grain mill and it works great, good luck exploring the next step towards euphoria :-)

Paul.
dohertyd
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks!

Post by dohertyd »

My brew store was kind enough to mill the grain for me. I brewed this weekend, and it seems to be moving along, fermentation-wise.

Thanks again!