BillyBock

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

BillyBock

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Bill, What dunkle weisen recipe did you use? I want to compare it to mine, I am getting ready in a month or so to brew it. You can search the archives here for "Azorean" (Containing the text) and you'll see it in there. Thanks,

Paul.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Look Here for Winter Dunkelweizen Recipe

Post by BillyBock »

The recipe is a variation off a clone for Sam Adams Winter Lager, here 'tis scaled down for 5 gals @ 75% efficiency:

OG=1.071, FG=1.017, IBU=28-30,
3.5# Pilsner Malt
4# Munich Malt
4# Wheat Malt
1.5# CaraMunich 60

22 IBUs EKG (60 min)
1/2 tsp Cinnamon (15 min)
1/3 oz. Ginger Root (15 min)
1 oz. Bitter Orange Peel (15 min)
3 IBUs Tettnang (2 min)
3 IBUs Hallertau (2 min)

WLP830 German Lager

I matched my water to Edinburgh to get plenty of calcium in the mash and to emphasize the sweetness from the chloride. Mash at 155F, ferment at 55F.

It went into the ferment on Nov. 28--I'm still waiting for primary to finish. However the kettle wort tasted very good, I can't wait! Enjoy.

v/r
Bill
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Oh man does that sound yummy

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Billy,

I am not one for spiced beers but I have to admit that you have a winner here. With the wheat and munich malts, Santa is going to be very happy to have one of these babies under the tree Christmas night, (I think I will high jack his sled and get a big red suit and stop by LOL), keep me posted OK?

Paul.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

You Betcha!

Post by BillyBock »

I know it's not completely Reinheitsgebot, but what the hey, right? I just love Sammy's Winter Lager--makes me all warm and tingly on the inside (LOL) I'll keep ya'll posted.

v/r
Bill
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Spiced beers

Post by fitz »

I'm ussually not big on spiced beers, but I may have to take a ride by and pick up some of these Sam Adams to try. The grain selection sounds great.