I'm going to try

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I'm going to try

Post by fitz »

I am going to do a side by side test. I'll use the octoberfest recipe that I posted here for zeno(I think Freon Steve tried it also) But I am going to do one batch with the German Gold, and one batch with Maris Otter as the base extracts. It might be interesting to see how the two compare. The Marris otter probably will have a lower FG
zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Very much interested

Post by zeno »

Keep us posted! Hell.. Send us samples!
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

Briess two row input...

Post by bredmakr »

I am also experiencing a high FG. can not get below 1.02 with different yeast strains, varying fermentation conditions, etc. Could this be the grain? I use Briess two row as my base malt because I can get it for $25/50 lb bag at the local brewpub.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

It souldn't be

Post by fitz »

It shouldn't be your base unless you aren't able to fully convert your non fermentasbles to fermentables. Try som amylase enzyme in your next batch and see if that helps to drop it. What recipe are you having the high FG on is there a lot of carmel or dark malt in it. That should be more closer to the reason behind the high FG
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

yes, dark malts

Post by bredmakr »

my last three batches and come to think of it most of my dark beers end up higher than target. Brewing a celebration ale and bitter this weekend. Will know for sure if it the dark malts. If it is would I be wise to back off on the crystal malts in my dark beers?