Mixing yeast varieties?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mixing yeast varieties?

Post by bigdosgood »

Help, I just realized that I somehow recieved 3 different yeast types, 2 whitelabs liquid one dry of another type, all three are different, I am making a big heavy batch of beer so I have been told I need at least 2, but 3 would be better. Will this be ok to mix them? One is a European Ale, a California Ale, and the dry one is some other Ale. Will this be a bad batch or just different? I really don't have time to get more and I am making 12 gallons with a high OG. Any advice will be valued greatly!

David
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Sure, Why Not?

Post by BillyBock »

People do this all the time when they make huge beers, except they normally use the ale yeast first and then add champagne yeast afterwards to finish the ferment. I've also heard of folks mixing two strains simultaneously in the primary with good results. It'd be an interesting experiment to see the results. One yeast may dominate, or they may all share equally. I think the California Ale is a high attenuator, so whatever the other yeast don't eat, that one should. Go for it and post the results! We wait with bated breath.

v/r
Bill
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Watch the champagne yeast

Post by fitz »

Although Champagne yeast are alcohol tolerant, the leave a vinous taste to the beer, anything else, will work. I have mixed ale and lager yeast, with good results. I usually try to use a similar yeast, but at least all of yours are ale yeasts, you should be fine. With high octane beers, it usually helps to let it age a month or so before consumption. At least that is my prefence.
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

It is Fermenting!

Post by bigdosgood »

Ok, here is what I ended up with, I found another European Ale so I had two of those and one dry yeast that came with a kit. I can tell you this, I did a 10 gallon batch and put it in an old 15 gallon malt extract plastic barrel, within 10 minutes the airlock was already bubbling hard! Looks like it is doing something anyway! I'll tell you how it comes out. I do believe I should have boiled it a little longer before adding the hops as I ended up a little short of the predicted OG, must have been about an extra gallon of water. Thanks for the input!
David