'leaf' vs 'flower' whole hops

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

'leaf' vs 'flower' whole hops

Post by bredmakr »

I have been shopping around for the best deal on bulk hops and noticed a big difference in 1 lb pricing. The low price item was described as 'leaf' hops and the high price item was described as 'flower' hops. Both were listed under whole hop varieties at the respective distributor. Is there a distinction between 'leaf' and 'flower' that would explain the difference in price or are they the same and one distributor has a much better deal?
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I would assume

Post by fitz »

There is that word, but the "hops" are from the female flowers of the hop plant, so I have to assume if the guy is selling it as hops, they must both be the female flowers. age would and could have a difference in the price, and packaging as well. If they are vacumn packed in a barrier bag, it sounds like it may be a buy. If they are in a loose baggie, that has been in the light, stay away from them.
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Check hopunion.com

Post by Brewer2001 »

Bred,

I checked the Hopunion web site. I think the difference is just terminology. Each distributor may call the hop cones by ether leaf or flower. The Hopunion web site is pretty interesting. I have met both Ralph and Ralph at brewing meetings, we call them "Ralph 2".

The web link is : www.hopunion.com

The difference in the price could be due to the quantity that each distributor handles.

I also checked the Yakima Chief web www.yakimachief.com.

There is some good information on both sites.

Hope this helps,good brewing.

Tom F.