Anchor Steam beer clone yeast question

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Grover

Anchor Steam beer clone yeast question

Post by Grover »

I have brewed an extract Anchor Steam clone. I have some Wyeast 2112 California Lager yeast for it. My question is this - should I ferment the batch at ale or lager temps? From what I understand, steam beer originally was a lager fermented at ale temps. I would appreciate any thoughts on this or experiences anyone has had in this area.

Jeff
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Hope this helps...

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

Yesterday I finished a keg of a California Common that was brewed at ale temps using White Labs 810 lager yeast. I thought the same thing when I pitched the yeast, but let it ferment at 72 degrees F anyway. I didn't have a problem, it tasted great.

If you want to brew an authentic California Common then I would reccommend ale temps, but if you don't like the sort of flavors that can be produced by too high fermentation temps, then by all means go for lager temps. If I remember correctly, Wyeast says the yeast will retain lager characteristics up to 65 degrees F, maybe start there with this batch and work your way up over successive batches to see what suits your pallate?

Cheers,
Nate
Grover

Thanks

Post by Grover »

Yes, that is the kind of feedback I am looking for. Thanks!

Jeff
vtterror
Light Lager
Light Lager

Wyeast 2112

Post by vtterror »

Wyeast 2112 is a yeast we use on a fairly frequent basis for lots of different beer styles. Even at ale temps (65 degrees F), one gets a clean, yet malty flavor profile. IMHO, this is one of the more versatile yeasts available to homebrewers. Enjoy!

Terry