Azorean B

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Azorean B

Post by jayhawk »

Have you modified your Mocha Porter recipe? Something looks different now, compared to when I brewed it a year ago. I don't have my notes with me for that batch. Are you still calling for a dry hop? Did it always call for all that chocolate and Black patent? BTW, I skipped the coffee addition and loved the beer (friends did too.)

Thanks
Chris
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

You are right

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Chris, I did modify it, sorry, I originally used Cascades for flavor and got some postings that was the wrong hops for english brew. I have changed it back to what I had on record. Go back and check, this should be what you brewed except for the Fuggles (like I said were Cascades). Sorry for the confusion. I also cut the coffee down to 4 oz. from 8, was too heavy on the coffee. My best and most surprising recipe is the "Highland Gaelic Ale", if you are looking for a very good scottish ale, try that one, it is my number one pick. Let me know what you decide OK?

Paul.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Going with the porter

Post by jayhawk »

Hey Paul. I am doing the Mocha porter using the EKG for hops, and going ahead with the Cascade dry hop (renegade!). I have actually done this recipe three times, w/o coffee. It is a hit with my friends and family. I have actually used it to barter with friends for various items (including cash). The best batch was the first, the second time I burned the mash a bit in my kettle (it was a 3 batch day...things were a little hectic) so it was a bit smoky, and the third time I upped the gravity with a little extract and skipped the dry hop. So for number four I am returning to the original recipe. Actually, I am throwing in a pound of flaked rye to give a real silky mouthfeel. I have done a altbier w/ flaked rye and it had the most incredible texture, so I thought I would throw some in the grist for the porter. I am stoked for this brew day (Saturday). It will be a double batch too. Yeehaw!

You might want to check the recipe again because it looks like the Crystal 120L portion is out of whack compared to yesterday.

Good brewing
Chris