Smithwick's Irish Ale

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

msu_brew

Smithwick's Irish Ale

Post by msu_brew »

Hey all. I'm looking to find a Smithwick's Irish Ale clone. I spent a few months in Dublin last spring and fell in love with this beer. It's nothing all that special, which is why I'd like to make it. I'm a recent college grad, so most of my friends give me a lot of "your beer's good, but I'd rather have (insert name of cheap, generic beer here, ie. Bud Light)." Smithwick's seems to be a perfect mix of good, simple flavor that can appease "beer snobs" and weekend boozers alike. I found one clone recipe on the net, but it has ingredients like Epsom salts and chalk which scared me away. If no one can give me a Smithwick's clone I'd also appreciate any incite on how to formulate clone recipes. Is it all trial and error?
msu_brew

Or Kilkenny Irish Ale

Post by msu_brew »

O, btw, Smithwick's isn't exported. It is sold in Canada and some parts of Europe under the name Kilkenny Irish Ale. Apparently Guinness (who own Smithwick's) don't export to the U.S. because they think it is too similar to Bass. This is an obvious insult to the Amaerican beer drinker because, IMHO, the two taste nothing alike.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Don't be afraid of water treatment

Post by Push Eject »

Salt, calcium, etc... is used to attempt to replicate the brewing water in a given area.

Don't be afraid of recipes that include them. That only indicates that the author was really detailed in his/her cloning attempt.

You can, however, still brew the recipe WITHOUT the water additives. Who knows, your brewing water may be perfect as is. Don't miss out on what might be the perfect recipe!

Cheers,
Charlie
msu_brew

Ah-Ha

Post by msu_brew »

Thanks, that makes some sense. I consulted the Pappazian guide and knew that the epsom salts and gypsum were for water treatment, but that was in the intermediate brewing section. I didn't go forward to the advanced section to see what else it said. Do the additives go in during the boil? Before the boil? That part I don't get...
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Are you sure about that?

Post by jayhawk »

I am suprised to hear that Kilkenny and Swithwicks are one and the same. I live in Vancouver Canada and have had both beers here. THe pubs and beer stores sell both Smithwicks and Kilkenny, and they are very different beers from what I recall. Kilkenny is an Irish Red ale, and I believe Smithwicks is more of a "dark" pale or amber like ale (its been a while). Anyway, my point is that these beers are different brews, and not the same beer that has been packaged with different labels.